Recipe: Cara’s Homemade Sweet Potato Rolls
Summary: Surprise your friends and family with homemade rolls this holiday. It’s easier than you think.
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 Tbsp honey (divided)
- 1-1/2 c sweet potato puree*
- 1/2 c warm water (110° F)
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- 1-3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten, plus 1 egg for wash
- 5 c bread flour
- Cooking spray
- Fit stand mixer with dough hook. Combine yeast, water and 1 Tbsp honey in the mixer bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
- Add remaining honey, sweet potato puree, butter or margarine, salt and eggs. Stir to mix well. Add the bread flour and blend on low to combine. Increase speed to next setting, kneading for 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pulls cleanly from bowl sides. Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking spray and turn the dough into the bowl. Lightly spray the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down and let rest for 2 minutes. Divide into 16-20 balls. Place on greased cookie sheet or 9 x 13 pan, drape with a towel and let rise until doubled — about 40 minutes.
- Brush each with egg wash and bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
*Peel and microwave 2 large sweet potatoes until soft, about 10 minutes, and mash with a fork.