Summary: Yep. In a jar. A great holiday gift idea.
Prep time: 1 hr | Yield: 8 one-pint jars
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 3-13 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs and bananas. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add dry mixture to bananas. Fold in nuts and water. Blend well.
- Grease eight (8) wide mouthed pint jars. Using a large-mouthed funnel, fill jars halfway with batter. Wipe any excess batter from rim. Place jars — without lids — on a large baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize lids and rings in boiling water.
- When bread is done work quickly removing one jar at a time, cleaning its sealing edge with a clean dry towel and immediately sealing each with dry, two-piece canning lid. Lid will form a vacuum seal as jar cools.
*Jars of cooled bread may be stored on pantry shelf or in the freezer. Bread is safe to eat as long as jars remain vacuum sealed and free of mold. Test the seal — the lid should not “pop” when pressed.